- This event has passed.
The Great Chicken Soup Cook Off
October 9, 2016 @ 1:00 pm - 3:30 pm
Included with Museum Admission
Inspired by our current exhibit Beyond Chicken Soup: Jews and Medicine in America the JMM couldn’t resist the opportunity to stage our first ever Great Chicken Soup Cook Off! We already know the miraculous power of chicken soup, now we want to find the best chicken soup in Maryland. We invite Maryland’s greatest amateur cooks from newbies to bubbies to participate in this important statewide search.
Even if you choose not to compete we encourage you to join us at the JMM for a day dedicated to Chicken Soup with tastings, activities for the whole family, tips from professionals and the announcement of Maryland’s greatest chicken soup.
Sam Gallant of WTMD
Tom Lovejoy, Executive Chef for Eddie’s of Roland Park
Tony Gambino of Ciao Bella Restaurant in Little Italy
Marvin Pinkert, Executive Director of the Jewish Museum of Maryland (Director’s Choice Award only)
and, of course, YOU! All attendees are invited to vote for the “Audience’s Choice Best Chicken Soup!
*Taste the soups and vote!
*Take Home Gardens: We are thrilled to welcome Josh Rosenstein of Edible Eden Baltimore Foodscapes llc to lead us in creating mini-herb gardens to take home! We will be planting rosemary and dill in a soup bowl filled with potting soil and learning about how to grow, cook with, and enjoy culinary herbs. Edible Eden is a local backyard farming and edible landscaping business offering services to homeowners, businesses and schools.
*Decorate your own soup bowl to take home!
*Q and A with Tom Lovejoy about how to perfect your own chicken soup!
*Illustrate your “perfect bowl” of soup
Call for Entries – CLOSED
Inspired by our current exhibit Beyond Chicken Soup: Jews and Medicine in America the JMM couldn’t resist the opportunity to stage our first ever Great Chicken Soup Cook Off! We already know the miraculous power of chicken soup, now we want to find the best chicken soup in Maryland.
We are now accepting entries on a first come, first served basis from amateur cooks throughout Maryland. Spots are limited, so early registration is recommended. Registration will close at 5:00pm on Friday, September 30th. Due to limited space we ask that individuals only enter one category. One place in each category will be held for entrants 16 years of age a younger who will be eligible to win a separate award.
The cook off will consist of three separate categories. Prizes will be awarded to the winner of each category plus an overall “Best In Soup” winner.
- Traditional – Just like Bubbie makes, the classic Chicken Soup made with either noodles or matzo balls.
- Alternative – A reinterpretation of this classic dish, maybe pan-asian or perhaps a with a Mexican twist, the only limit is your imagination.
- Free From – Remove at least one of the traditional ingredients, perhaps gluten free chicken soup, maybe vegetarian or even vegan ‘chicken’ soup.
- This competition is open to all amateur cooks residing in Maryland.
- One available space in each category will be reserved for an entrant under 16 years of age, if this place is not filled it will be offered to a cook on the waiting list.
- Each entrant should provide at least one gallon of their soup – the more you provide the better your chances of winning the People’s Choice Award.
- All soup should be brought to the museum warm and ready to serve, electrical outlets are not available.
- All entrants should be in the museum by 12:30pm on the day of the competition, ready to serve by 1pm.
- Winners for each category, plus an overall winner, will be announced at 3pm.
- Entrants must stay with their soup throughout the judging period to serve and answer questions.
- We know there are no limits to creativity, but we do ask that contestants refrain from the use of pork or shellfish in their soups.
- Chicken Soup Champion
- Best Traditional Chicken Soup
- Best Alternative Chicken Soup
- Best Free From Chicken Soup
- Under 16 Champion
- Directors Choice
Questions? Contact Trillion Attwood at firstname.lastname@example.org / 443.873.5177 for more info.